Monday, July 4, 2011

Was your flag made in the USA?

After reading a few articles and listening to several news pieces, it feels like China pretty much owns the USA.  Okay, that's obviously an exaggeration (and I'm no subject matter expert!), but let's at least agree we're not headed in the right direction on this one.  A retired Marine forwarded me an email saying there was a story on ABC in which Dianne Sawyer went around someone's house and pulled out all the things made in China.  In the end, the house was almost EMPTY.  The piece apparently also showed how you could replace many of those things taken out of the house with similar items made in the USA and it only cost $64 additional dollars (again, I'm summarizing - I didn't see the piece).
So, on Independence Day, take a look at a few things.  The tag on the American Flag waving outside your home or the one you held while watching a parade?  Where was it made??  A great housewarming gift - an American flag made from an American manufacturer: http://www.valleyforgeflag.com/36/100-Made-In-The-USA.htm

How about that patriotic t-shirt you're wearing?  Where was that made?
Today, I went to put on my USA "Stars and Stripes" lapel pin and I turned it over to see where it was made - sure enough - China.

I've got a long way to go, but I'm ready to start learning and making some changes in what I purchase.  Just think what we could do if we united our wallets!

4 comments:

  1. Very educational for a first blog post:) I look forward to reading more. The shirt I'm wearing (I just looked) was made in the Dominican Republic. Just to let you know, it says "Team Bulldog" and my principal bought them for us! However, I know for a fact we own many things made in China. This is definitely something to think about, since our nation could hardly function if it didn't import goods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting! I hope a blog like this will teach us we import waaayyy too much and if we took the time to research if we could buy a similar t-shirt (or whatever) that was made in America it would truly make a positive impact on our economy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job. Information that can make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought a Thomas the Train book for my 2 year old this week and it wasn't made in China- take that China! Oops, it was printed in Mexico- is that any better???

    ReplyDelete